Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Running 13.1 Miles with NO Music...WHAT?????

I am taking on 2 new challenges for me to conquer by April 17th. One is a challenge I had been working up for and had to re-schedule and that is a half marathon, but this one is different because its over granite slabs, through the forest, rivers beds, and through a meadow. The second one is the most scary thought of them all for me and that is NO IPODS are allowed.

All my life I always had background noise. I have slept with it, I did my homework with it, and it helped me stay focus. It relaxes me and it jazzes me up. Keeps me distracted and not on other things that stress me. This challenge not only is going to push me physically, but mentally.

Today, was my 1st training day with trail runs and no music incorporated. I took my MP3 player with me just to feel like I am choosing to run without music instead of being forced to it. My woods run took about 10 minutes and it was down hill/ up hill and through mud and water. After that I ran a 2 mile run hill run.

The woods run taught me that no music is the best thing possible, because you have to respond to changes and be aware of everything around you. I made up the course as I went. The 2 mile run on my hill course on roads was strong without music until I hit the big hills at the end. Thats when the music came back on.

Good 1st day. Can't wait to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment