Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Natural Pain Killers

In my recent Runners World magazine there was an article mentioning pain reliever remedies that are natural and works like Advil does. We all know that Advil in the like can cause damage to our livers if we take too much of it.

I tested 2 of these today after 4 miles running on my hill course where more than 2 miles is up hill in about 40 degrees weather with about 5 to 10 mph winds in the teens wind chill, which can cause my knees and hips to ache. Since my training was going slower than usual and the wind was chilling me to the bone I decided to finish my goal on the treadmill.

I took a break and did 30 minutes of pilates with a bodyband.

The last 2 miles I struggled with because of tightness and pain. I decided to walk 5 minutes and then try to run. It didn't go well, but I was determined to run 2 miles. The last mile I ran 200 meters and walked 200 meters till it was done. The 200 meters I ran were fartleks with it going 100 meters at 6 mph, than 50 meters I went up to 6.5 mph, and the last 50 meters I pushed it up to 7 mph.

All this and after 9.3 miles on Monday I am sore. I ate a salad with cottage cheese (remedy 1), mixed peppers, and extra virgin olive oil (remedy 2) for a dressing. Felt great after eating it. Works. Also, using my knee braces I bought that are just compression fit to help them.

Simple and healthier way to stave pain. Happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment