Sunday, December 13, 2009

Top 8 Excuses Not to Run:

    8. Not the right gear.

    7. No where to run.

    6. No one to run with.

    5. Inclement weather.

    4. No endurance.

    3. Past and current injuries.

    2. Fear

    1. TIME

Excuses Become Reasons:

8. When I first started out I was wearing shoes that were falling apart. I did not buy my first expensive pair until I knew I had fallen in love with running. The shoes are the most important part for running. Socks and a sports bras are next. Socks prevent blisters and the later is pretty much self explaining. After I decided that running would be part of my life, I purchased some special running socks and shorts.

My point is if you're just starting out shorts, t-shirts, layers for colder weather, socks and shoes can be low-end until you feel ready to take it a step further.


 

7. When I was in college I had a great gym with a track in it and a treadmill to run on. All colleges have gyms to run in so college students should never use this excuse of not having a place to run.

Another place was a community park that had a walk way I could run on. All parks are safer than the road and usually have a track that is a mile long.

I do not have a membership to a gym anymore and do not want to use too much gas money to run so I found solutions. I have a treadmill in my house and I currently walk about 100 meters to the neighborhood next door to run. I drove the roads and found out its 2 miles one time through. It's hilly and gives me a good hard run to train on. When I want to do more miles I know each time around builds up my mileage by 2s.

The most I have done has been 3 rounds for a 10k.

Point: Gyms for college students, all the rest of us can be creative and go to parks and safe neighborhoods. If you own a treadmill dust it off and jump on.


 

6. Personally I run well alone, but sometimes it is nice to run with others for support or to push myself. To work out schedules is hard, but it is possible. My running partner and I run once a month and it's great to see how strong we are from one time to the next. Training alone and showing off every once in a while gives us a reason to push ourselves until next time through competition.

Either find someone who can work the runs in the same time as you or do as I do. If running alone set goals for yourself. I set a 10 mile mark for each week currently. Keeps me motivated.


 

5. Inclement weather is solved through a treadmill if you own one or belong to a gym. I never ran in the rain yet, but either I make it up on the next day I run or I do strength training.

The cold is not a good excuse, because of being able to layer and running warms your body naturally.


 

4. No endurance occurs when you try to increase you workouts and your body is not use to the level or intensity. Through patients and practice this will improve. When you see the improvement through hard work and pushing yourself it feels great.

Most everyone can not just go out and run a marathon. They have to build up to it. For starters it might be wise to walk and run a mile. Then work up to more running and less walking until you can do a full mile without stopping. Add miles on the same way.


 

3. I have 2 injuries that I did not let slow me down even though they seem to be determined to do. One is from about five years ago from a head on collision; I was in with my mom. My hip was jammed and I have a muscle spasm that will never really go away.

The second injury is from a slip and slide accident which left me with chondromalacia (this is where my cartilage has been smashed and the shock absorption does not work anymore) and beginning stages of arthritis in my knees. I re-injured my knee and then the other one a year later playing Ultimate Frisbee. I had to wear a knee brace and was in tears when sitting, standing, walking, laying down, and all positions.

Both of these injuries are just fading memories. The running has strengthened the muscles and relaxed them. Consult your doctor and make sure your injuries could be helped with movement and try it.


 

2. Fear is overcame by getting out there and jumping. Facing your fear can help you grow. The benefits of getting past the fear to run for whatever reason out shines reasons to hide and not try.


 

  1. Time. I hear this too much. I am fed up. If someone can say my past week is not as busy as your daily normal routine, then you can use this excuse maybe. I have ran 11 miles this past week.


 

My schedule from 11/6 to 11/12

Sunday: Work at my retail job from 11:30 to 6:30. After working from 5 pm to 2 am babysitting the night before.

Monday: Took a day of rest and finished the blog I started and made worksheets for my mentoring in math. Also, a dentist appointment that took 3 hours.

Tuesday: Cleaned all the floors in the house which takes about 2 hours all together. Went bowling with a friend.

Wednesday: Retail work from 10:30 to 4 and then went straight to mentoring that took an hour drive one way to mentor for an hour and half.

Thursday: Ran 4.2 miles and babysat a 3 year old from 12:20 to 8.

Friday: Subbed at a preschool from 9 to 1. Babysat from 2 to 6. Ran 4.5 miles and did a massive strength training session.

Saturday: Worked retail from 9 to 3. Ran 2.3 miles. Went to a Family Christmas party.


 

I went over my goal. If you want to make time for something you do. Think about those mornings you just sat in bed or watched tv for an hour or two. My 11 miles and workouts all equaled up about 4 hours, which is not that many hours out of a 168 hour week with more than 84 hours being awake.


 

I also know a mother who is in college who does 4 milers and college students who do miles on miles who keep up there grades.


 

Now, its up to you take your excuses and make them into reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment