Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Race #3- November 26, 2009:

    Starting off Thanksgiving with a race made me extremely happy. The race was in Canton at Boiling Park. My goal for this race was to run the whole thing without stopping. In my training, the Tuesday before, I ran a full 5k on my hilly course. The park was the flattest course in North Georgia so I knew I could do it.

Race Day:

    This race I did not have a pacing partner. Since I looped around the same areas where my parents and sister were they helped me stay motivated. The first mile was on gravel and the second was on the road covered in speed bumps. Then the final mile was on the gravel again. The gravel killed my knees and hip.

    Finishing my first mile in about 8:51 minutes I still felt strong. I found out the races that looped did not help with my time, because people loop back around you and you see how far away from the beginning you are. Mentally this can slow someone down, but I never stopped running. Closing in on my last mile at 20:51 minutes passed I still haven't walked and still felt good. A touch of nausea set in, but it didn't feel threatening. My breathing was steady so I knew I would be alright, because there was one slight incline coming up, but nothing too strenuous. By the last half mile I looped around and noticed seeing all the people behind me now made me have a kick of adrenaline. I picked up my pace once again. Coming to about the last hundred meters my mom walked towards me and yelled, "Your still under 30 minutes! Beat it!" I sprinted it and the furthest sprint I made in a race.

    My time was 29:13. This was my slowest time, but I met my goal and still sprinted it out at the end. It felt great! Also, to my surprise there were only two people in my age category and I ended up winning the first place trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment