Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pacing Partners- Women vs. Men:

    During the first race I picked people to stick behind at the beginning. The people I chose were a dad and a daughter duo. After I had to walk, I lost them. For a mile I ran as an individual in passing and being passed.

    I found it interesting how it worked when I passed a guy, who always felt that they had to sprint ahead of me to stay in front. In closing around the last mile of the race I ended up trying to out run this group of women, which worked for a short while and then I had to walk. With their steady pace they passed me again and I sprinted to get ahead. At the end of the race I noticed that the mentality of a guy in heat of competition was not going to improve my race time.

    By the second race I picked a 3rd grader to pace with. Her mother told me that she could run about eight minute miles and stay steady through out the whole race. I thought that I would not have a problem with doing that, but once again I was wrong. By the start of the second loop she pushed on and I started to walk. That is when my new "pacing partner" emerged. At the end of the race I found them both and told them good job.

    My 2nd "pacing partner," who was 33 years old, and I talked about how great it felt to find someone to pace with. Then her father (in his 60s), who trailed behind me at first then passed me when I walked, but I passed him before the finish line told me, "That my shirt made him mad and he was determined to not let me beat him, because I was a young girl and what my shirt said."I was wearing my Ultimate Frisbee shirt that had the team name on it: Nonads.

    Conclusion so far is women appreciate each other and every age plus the different genders for the inspiration and motivation during the race. Men use all these factors for competition and drive.

    Note: There are always people who do not fit the conclusions drawn. So, find your racing personality and use if for your advantage.

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment