Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Race #2- November 14, 2009:

    This race I had trained only 4.5 miles the week before due to work hours. Then the five days leading up to the race I felt sick and lead to no running prior.


 

Race Day:

    The race was at West Forsyth High School. That morning I took 2 bites of cereal and felt really sick instantly. I decided that I could still run the race, so I went. The race started once around the track and then it looped around the school. This was repeated twice.

    After the first rotation I noticed I went too fast and had to walk. At one turn I picked to start running again. Lucky for me this woman in a pink long sleeve warm gear shirt on ended up running pass me at the same time I started. So, she became my "pacing partner." I knew this was going to work, because women draw together unlike men who compete.

    After a while nausea crept back up and I thought about slowing down or walking could help. Then my "pacing partner" was still holding strong and Katy Perry's song "Waking Up in Vegas" came on. I got a new wind in me.

    Closing in to the end we both broke out in a sprint. The race officials started yelling, "It's a race! It's a race!" I ended up out sprinting her.

    I finished the race in 29:05, which I was still proud of. Being sick and still pulling out with a good run with only walking once was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment