Thursday, January 21, 2010

Playing in the Rain

I have never ran in the rain before not even when it was sprinkling and I actually told my mom that I was not crazy enough to do so. Just recently I have been busy and the weather has been not just my cup of tea to run outside and it was driving me stir mad. Yesterday was going to be my day off, I thought, but was called into work as I was preparing to go run. I was going to run rain or shine. My luck it was a sunny day and near 60s degrees. I didn't get the chance to have my run.

I knew it was going to be raining this morning so I decided no matter what I was going to enjoy the outdoors. When I headed out it was sprinkling and I felt that would be easy to handle. Half way through my first 2 miles it started to pour. I had to put my earbuds in my raincoat pocket and run without music for the first time ever. It was easier than I figured, because I focused on the pitter patter of the rain drops and the rushing water gurgling down to the drains and that kept me pretty happy.

I splashed through a big puddle at the end of my first 2 miles and looped around. Heading back up the hill at the beginning of my course I had to start walking. The water soaking through the coat and shoes everything started to feel a good bit heavier plus my breathing became labored. The last two miles followed the rule of always running or sprinting up the hills, 4 steep long hills and a couple smaller grade ones.

At the end I was cold and soaked to the bone. The experience has left me feeling strong and dedicated. It will happen again, because mom I am that crazy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment