Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Journey Re-Routed

Life has happened and my journey to a marathon within a year is being re-routed. Working two jobs, attending graduate school, and interning has made it hard for me to figure out time to train for even a 5k.

I have had time to run small amounts here and there when it has stayed cool enough for me to survive. For my birthday I decided to sign up for the 13.1 Atlanta on October 3rd and give myself a PR of 2 hours. This was all figured out before "life happened."

In the end I still decided to do it. For some odd reason I knew I was going to be alright. I was still a little concerned about my knees and hip, but I still felt comfortable about my decision to do it. Even with the week before when I hurt my back from trying to play basketball.

October 2nd, Saturday, I went to run at a local park to see how my body would do. I made it 3.9 miles feeling amazing. I went to bed that night at 9 and woke at 4:30 am feeling very rested and excited.

On October 3rd, Sunday, I forgot my bid number on the kitchen table so my dad had to turn the car around to get it. Ended up leaving the house at 6 am. Arrived 10 minutes before the race started. My mom and dad dropped me off and I got ready to get going.

As the sun was breaking through the sky I noticed my headband was not on me. I had to run the race without it.

By mile 6 I felt good and strong. Hitting the maker around an 1:07:00 and got to high five my dad. After this point I had to start run/ walking. It felt like a roller coaster from this point on. The day was beautiful and cool. I was having a great time.

Walking the hills and running the flats and down hills I finished the half in 2:41:24 hours. Overall I ranked 2494 out 2864, with the females 1327 out of 1612, and with my age group (20 to 24) 142 out of 154. Not what I expected when I signed up, but I am still very proud.

It is 17 minutes faster than my first half marathon and I am physically and mentally stronger feeling afterwards instead of feeling broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment