Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Running

The hours I work plus the hotter days coming through is making my training more about fun runs than focused runs. I only ran 9 miles last week and each day only 3 miles each. I did set a PR in my training in one of these runs by running a 5k in 24 minutes, which is a 8 minute pace. I found this interesting since the night before I was reading the runners world magazine and it mentioned to have a faster marathon plan on running slower (10 minute pace) at the beginning of a long run than bump it up to a 8 minute pace at the end. I didn't even want to try that since I never even ran a 8 minute pace 5k once through. Now, I guess I should try it.

My training runs have been strong except the humidity is draining me. So, this morning I decided to try to beat the heat. Well, that failed to a point. I woke at 5:30 am and was running at about 6:45 as the sun was rising. It was about 70 degrees. The humidity was high though so I ended up with lots of sweat pouring out even my shins I had drops. I produced the amount of sweat as I use to do during the colder seasons when I ran about half marathon distances at a fast pace.

I ended up running a 10k in 55 minutes (another PR set during training) and would of continued to run longer, but I got dizzy. I got in my car to see the temperature and it was reaching up to 76 degrees already at 8 am.

Now, my plan is to learn to wake as it gets lighter and run. Plus, adapt to the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment