Thursday, July 8, 2010

Run for my Sanity

After being out of running for a week or two I became out of sorts, but as I believed was use to it. The Peachtree Roadrace taught me better. Through out the 6 miles I could feel my body ease into the rhythm and enjoy the release of built up energy. I could not help, but smile and have fun no matter what my time came out to be.

The day after the race I felt energized to run again already, but my ankles were tight and sore. Then today came around. I woke up at 6 to watch the sun rise as I prepared myself for a great run or I hoped for one.

Starting at 7:30 I set out for my first 5k and feared for my long run that I felt I needed not for training and not for fun, but for my own sanity. The temperature was at about 68 degrees and my first 5k came to 29 minutes, which is my average time for that distance.

I went to the restroom and had some Gatorade to cool myself down. I set out on the 2nd round of the neighborhood and felt strong and faster. My muscles have been loosened up and my breathing became easy. The weather was still in a good place for me. Sun shining and rising in the East where two of the larger hills faced it. Sprinklers were nourishing the grass and glistening in the sun and moistening the air. Birds chirping and flying plus the Kites chasing the Crows away from their territory. Becoming part of the calm morning my run felt great and ended up being in 27 minutes.

Since the summer officially became hot my runs usually ended at 6 miles. This morning I replenished myself with more Gatorade and then poured iced water over my head, neck and chest. I set off on my 3rd round at a faster pace than intended, but felt amazing through it all. I walked once at the very end only for 30 seconds. I finished the last 5k in 26 minutes. I felt like I was about to throw up or pass out. My fingers bloated to the point of pain. I walked an 100 meters to calm off from that last lap in about 77 degrees weather.

Running 9 miles in an hour and 22 minutes and coming home and doing an hour of strength training plus 30 minutes of Yoga with relaxing Celtic music playing makes me realize I love running. Its not to be better than someone else, its not to prove anything to anyone...its my way to relax, escape, and to find out who I really am through pushing myself.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tara! Just started reading these blog posts of yours! They are so descriptive and vivid, very much feel like i can see you doing all the things your typing! You really have a gift for imagery and description! Very very inspired to get out and do something myself not for anyone else but like you said, to do it to see who you are by pushing yourself! Such a great Blog! I will have to keep reading these! After a few hours sleep! might be going for a run this morning myself! :) keep up the good work!

    Darcy :)

    ReplyDelete