Sunday, April 18, 2010

Impossible Can Made into Possible by Removing 2 letters...

At age 4 I was told I would never be able to graduate from high school in a "normal class." I did with honors. I graduated from college in 4 years with honors. Now, I am going to start graduate school in August of this year.

I grew up with people telling me that I couldn't do it. Guess what? I did and I am on a journey to prove that the impossible can be possible. I am not the only person who does such. Watch or read anything about the crowd who accomplish or even attempt the Ironman, in Hawaii, and you will become a believer that if you want it...you can have it.

This past Saturday, April 17th I ran my first half marathon. Two of my cousins decided to run it too. One of them this was his 2nd go at the course. I knew it was going to be tough and I believe on a road race I could do the distance in about 2 hours, but this course I gave myself anywhere before 3 hours or a little after.

The whole week before this run I felt sick turns out it was mainly nerves. Lots of sleep needed and suppressed apatite, which does not help on race day. I also, missed the last day for registration on the net that is something I never do. I had every excuse not to do it, but I felt ready so I decided to "just do it."

This was my 4th weekend back to back of races: March 27th 5k at 30:05, April 3rd first 4.5 mile run and trail run (toughest in the Dirty Spokes series) 56:58, April 10th first 10k 1:06:00, and yesterday first half marathon and 2nd trail race 2:58:31.

The first 2 miles I paced with one of my cousins, which was his first time on trail, but he raced the ING half a month earlier that year and he ended up pulling out in front. When I reached mile 3 I felt strong and that felt great. Miles 3 to 4 was flat and sandy. A man in a bright yellow shirt ended up pacing with me and we chatted a bit. He told me that when he went on a mission trip to Africa the locals walked 6 miles to the nearest well and back. He told me if they could do that daily he can run half at least once. They are raising money to build a well that will be closer.

At about mile 6 we crossed another bag pipe player (first was around mile 2.5) and I realized I felt strong compared to what I expected, which lead to me crying and I picked up my pace. Around this point a woman in blue became my pusher. We would lose each other and catch back up and said "come on, we are good" to each other.

Around mile 8 I started to hit my wall and hard. Plus, little to my understanding was the hardest part of the course too. I lost the woman in the blue shirt. The meadows were hard, all in the sun and no shade with rolling hills and hotter than I am use to training in. I definitely felt the pain from my hips down and the fatigue setting in.

Around mile 9 a fellow passed me and handed me a goo, he said it had 2 shots of caffine in it and I be fine. That worried me since caffine is what caused my heart to act up about a year ago. I decided to use it, because I was at my wits in plus the granite was taking its toll on my lower body.

Around mile 10 to 11 I got the energy again, but my the pain was horrid, my heart started to race, and I felt faint. Around this point I was at lower elevation, near a swamp, and shaded I took this time to walk to get my self together again.

I was lucky I pulled myself together at this point, because the steepest and long incline lurked after that breather. The 2nd drumer and 1st saxaphone player played Jason Marez as I finished that incline.

I ran a little bit towards the last water station at 12.1 miles at this point I factored 3 hours was attainable or a little after. Reaching the station it was 10 minutes till 10. We started 4 minutes after 8 and that I forgot.

I walked unitl the last incline and started running and met up with 2 men with white shirts. I told them come on lets finish strong together. A second later I saw the timer it was 2:57: something and I took off. I sprinted with every ounce of energy left in me. Forget the pain I will finish before 3 hours.

Its easy to flip the pencil over and erase 2 letters. Its possible!

1 comment: